Event Day Schedule: Sunday December 15, 2019
- 8:30–9:15am — Registration & Bib# Pick-Up at the Seaside Centre
- 9:30am — 5k starts: Run or Walk (timed)
- 9:35am — 2k starts: Walk or Dance-Walk, Kids Run (untimed)
- 9:45–11am — Refreshments, Prizes & Entertainment at the Seaside Centre.
The 5k course is an out and back with two loop sections in the village of Sechelt. The course is mostly flat with a couple of hills to challenge you on Salmon and Anchor Roads. The 2k is a mostly flat loop around the middle of Sechelt, sharing the start and finish of the 5k route.
We may or may not be going around the duck pond this year. Tide charts seem to be unreliable, we have to see how it looks at 9am race day and make the decision.
5k Route Description (if duck pond trail is flooded)
- The start line is behind the Seaside Centre on Rosina Giles Way (the access lane to the Library etc.).
- Head north towards Cowrie, straight across Cowrie and continue on Ocean past Hackett Park to Pebble
- Quick jog left over to Salmon
- Right on Surf Circle, across Trail Avenue, round Surf Circle back to Trail
- Quick left onto Ebbtide
- Left on Wharf, past the pub and up the hill (Anchor Rd) to Trail
- Left down the hill on Trail
- Right on Surf Circle
- Left on Salmon
- Left on Pebble, down nearly to Trail but turn right onto the lane
- Right again on the next lane and back up to Ocean
- Left on Ocean past Hackett Park
- Left on Dolphin, all the way down to Inlet (you'll be directed to the RIGHT sidewalk on Dolphin)
- Turn right onto Inlet (stay on the RIGHT sidewalk on Inlet)
- Right again on Cowrie (you'll be directed to the LEFT sidewalk), through downtown, keep going past the mall
- Turn left at the library onto Rosina Giles Way and finish at the Seaside Centre, close to where you started.
The 2k follows the 5k route until arriving at Pebble Cres., then does a U-turn and heads back, turning left down Dolphin, to Inlet, then Cowrie and Rosina Giles Way — the same as the end of the 5k course.
Sorry, no dogs, bikes, skateboards or scooters. Baby strollers and baby joggers welcome but must start at the back.
Dance-Walking Division (2k)
Dance-walkers may bring their own portable music system or follow along with our dance-walk group leader (we have a fun playlist!).
What exactly is dance-walking? Check out the video that started it all…
Registration, start/finish and post-run festivities at the Seaside Centre in Sechelt (next to the RCMP building). Washrooms available inside. Parking available outside the Seaside Centre and in the adjacent mall and Aquatic Centre lots.
If you need a place to stash your gear while you're on the course, bring it in a bag to the registration area and we'll look after it for you while you run, walk or dance-walk.
Post-Run Refreshments & Entertainment
Come into the Seaside Centre afterwards for hot chocolate, coffee from The Daily Roast, tea, Christmas treats, mandarin oranges and live music!
Awards and Prizes
All entrants will be eligible to win one of many great draw prizes from local merchants! Stick around because you have to be there to win.
Ornament medals will be given to the top 3 male and female finishers in the 5k run only, in Junior (19 and under), Open (20-39) and Masters (40+) divisions. In addition, the first overall male and female in the 5k will each receive a gift certificate from PaceSetter. Times will be recorded and posted for all finishers in both distances.
Sign up online to volunteer — thank you!